Sunday, July 24, 2005

Oklahoma is more than just OK, it is awesome!

I think being surprised in life may be one of life’s pleasures that most people take for granted.  Last night I had one of those pleasures provided to me right here in little old Georgetown.

 

Ok1Melissa and I went to see the musical Oklahoma yesterday evening.  It was being put on by a local community theatre group called Maskrafters at the Scott County High School. We met our friend Rhonda Currier there. I went mostly to please Melissa and I thought I could end up taking a picture or two, but I really wasn’t expecting much.  You see, when it comes to musicals, I am pretty much a snob. Yes, I admit it. I am a snob when it comes to musicals. If it isn’t a Broadway national touring group with world-class-talent and production, I just really don’t want to go.  Anything else is just a waste of time. I am very willing to pay the money to get great seats and see quality shows.  I am even willing to travel to see them.  We mostly go to Cincinnati and Louisville, but one time we drove down to Nashville to see Les Miserables (probably my favorite one).

 

I really wasn’t expecting much from a group of community actors who go by the name Maskrafters.  What is a Maskrafter anyway?  We arrive… only $8 a seat?  Ha! At $8 a seat, how could this be any good?  We take our seats.  I notice -- no pit band?  They have just an organ-type-thingy? I suppose the correct term is synthesizer, but I am clueless about these types of things.  Ok, now I am really nervous, cheap seats – no band – high school auditorium. I quickly started scanning for the exits to plot my escape without attracting attention Ok2to myself.  I was hatching a plan to sneak out, go home and watch “Big Brother”, and sneak back before it ended. I was wondering if I could do so without Melissa noticing.  I was going to give it a few minutes before I made my prison break.

 

Let me cut to the chase here, boy was I wrong. From the beginning to the end, this musical was an awesome, stupendous, colossal (you can choose your own superlative if you like) show worthy of touring status. Wow!!!  What a treat.  And where did they get all this talent?   If I didn’t know better, I would have accused them of importing some Broadway talent. What is amazing is that it wasn’t just a few of the actors who were awesome; it was all of the actors – from top to bottom – who were awesome.  I still can’t imagine how we have all of these talented people here in Georgetown.  This production is worthy of a large city.

 

 

Oh and the music.  Remember that there was just this organ-type-thingy.  Oh my goodness – prior to the event, I just knew that the music was Ok3going to let me down.  The person playing the organ-type-thingy was Nina Belle Durr.  I have heard that she was very good, but I figured even with her, one person can’t do it all.   Ok, I was wrong – again.  She can do it all.  The total magic she performed is worthy of a performance all her own.  She made that organ-type-thingy sound like dozens of instruments. She did the impossible – made it so that I didn’t miss the pit band at all. Wow, that is an amazing feat when one thinks of it. I had a good vantage point of seeing her hands on the keyboard and I spent quite a bit of time enjoying watching her magical fingers fly across the keyboard. She was flat out outstanding – an unbelievably amazingly talented woman.

 

You know, when a show comes together and is a terrific show, one has to believe that the people behind the scenes need just as much credit.  I am clueless about what all it takes to put on a production.  But I know (or have heard terms) like grips, sound people, stage hands, lighting crew, producer and director. They all need to be commended for their excellent and flawless work. 

 

Ok4Ok so for the pictures.   As I said before, I was expecting to take a picture or two. But I got caught up in the moment and started taking pictures like crazy.  So much so, that Melissa told me within a few minutes to cool it on the picture taking. She didn’t want me to bother the people around us with the constant snappity snap of my shutter.   So I slowed down and tended to take pictures when people were clapping.  Even being throttled down, I took over 275 pictures!  I placed a sampling of the pictures here on my blog, but you can view all of my pictures at  http://www.pbase.com/jimcook/maskraftersoklahoma

 

All in all, a very enjoyable and unforgettable evening.  If you live near to Georgetown, you should definitely make it on your near term to-do list to visit one of their upcoming productions.  Do it quickly before they figure out that they can charge much more than $8 for the value they provide. And if you see a photography fool taking a bunch of pictures, say hello to me!

 

Ok5Ok6Ok7

Ok8Ok9Ok10

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the show! NBD

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for a wonderful write up of the show! I'm very happy to hear that EVERYONE in the show was great! :) -- from an Oklahoma cast member

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your pictures and review make me wish I had attended the audition for “Oklahoma,” or at least caught a showing! The set construction is enough to look at – what beauty.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter Lisa Hanson was part of the cast (ensemble). We saw the show Friday night and found it very pleasurable and refreshing. I always find it very amazing the fine arts talent that does exist out there among those with non-theatrical careers. Here you have a cast of non-professionals who have to remember lines and songs and timing and they did it all so well, plus the dedication of many hours of rehearsing. Maybe because we realize they are not professionals that our expectations are lower and therefore, their efforts are just that more out-standing.
All are to be commended!

Robert Tylicki
New Albany, IN

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home