Thursday, August 11, 2005

Majorette Melissa

Here is another picture I converted to digital by taking a picture of it.  Melissa was the head majorette for her high school band (Thomas Walker High School in Ewing, Virginia). When I first looked at this picture, I thought the temperature on the bank was 13 degrees.  Yeow that would be bitter cold to be out with no protective clothing.  However, after looking at the people on the street and seeing what they were wearing, no way 13 degrees would be correct.  Well, it is 13 degrees — just 13 degrees celcius which about 55 degrees fahrenheit.  Much warmer, but still too cold to be out with no jacket.   I believe this is a picture of her band performing in Middlesboro Kentucky.  If I am wrong, she will tell me and I will change it.

Well, I was wrong!  Here is the real scoop from Melissa.

Location Barbourville Kentucky, Daniel Boone Festival Parade, took place sometime in mid to late October 1979.  Their band won first place every year that they participated.  There were 100 people in the band and 400 people in the school. Band director Joe Weis was totally awesome and was the reason the band was always so good. And 55 degrees is perfect weather to march in. 

MelissaMajorette

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth G. said...

Wow, my hometown, Barbourville! Amazing to see that familiar background, now changed somewhat with the streetscape project. Also had friends at Thomas Walker High School.

Nice to see the Georgetown photos, too! Love the shot of the church especially.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home