Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Two Heads Are Better Than One

My grandma used to tell me that “two heads are better than one” when I was growing up.  This I believe to be true – at least some of the time and I will share a story to support that claim.  But before I do, I want to tell you that she also told me to eat the crust on my bread. That it would put hair on my chest.  This I believe to be false. I have a fair amount of follicles on my chest and they certainly didn’t come from the crust. You see I was a disobedient child and I didn’t eat the crust on my bread growing up. Dogs come in handy as they like crust.

 

“Two heads are better than one?”  I suppose some are wondering; what does that mean? Well it means that if two people can work together, they can do things better than just a single person alone. I told you that I was going to support that claim with a story.  So here it is.

 

HaleyConwayCollage

Recently Melissa and I collaborated on a collage and it wound up being much better than if I did it alone.  In all reality, I had very little to do with the vision of the collage.  My involvement was that I took the pictures, did the technical stuff, and kibitzed a little. It was her vision and her relentless pursuit of excellence that resulted in our (her) best work to date. Melissa’s relentless determination for excellence, in whatever she does, sometimes conflicts with my “good enough for government work” attitude.  But that is what makes us such a great pair.  Her skills and my skills complement each other nicely so that our collaborative efforts turn out great.

 

In my post from a few days ago about Oklahoma, I failed to mention that our Lawn Maintenance Engineer, Haley Conway, had the lead part in Oklahoma as Curly.  Melissa and I decided print some of the pictures and give him a framed collage as a memento of his performance.  Of the 275+ pictures I took we culled about a baker’s dozen – unfortunately we only had room for 8 in the frame.  Going from a baker’s dozen down to 8 would seem an easy thing to do.  I suggested that we just randomly place the pictures. But Melissa declined that option and took her time to find just the right – perfect I dare say – combination of photos and placement. She has more patience for that sort of thing than I do. Then she left the work of cropping, resizing and printing the pictures to me. I am still getting the hang of creating awesome prints on my printer and it took a few rounds of printing mediocre prints and Melissa rejecting them till I had it right.

 

The result is this collage. This is a photo I took of the actual collage.  This two dimensional photo doesn’t do justice to the incredible collage that Melissa created. You’ll have to take my word for it. If you do not believe me, you can stop by Haley’s house and ask to see the real thing.  Don’t be surprised if he charges admission to see this fine art. 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home