Thursday, August 18, 2005

Michael Goes To College

Eku1

Today, Michael moved into his dorm at Eastern Kentucky University.  Here is a picture of him in the morning around 7am just before we left the house for the 45 minute drive down to Richmond, Kentucky.

Eku2

Before I continue with the story, I just wanted to let you know that all of the pictures are majorly photoshopped to give them the “hip” look that a college guy deserves.  Actually, I am starting to love this cross processed look and  I suspect you will see it quite a bit in my future picture postings.

Boy, things have certainly changed since Melissa  and I went to college.  We remember the old days of pure chaos.  People arriving simultaneously, standing in line for hours to get checked into the dorm and then the bazillion trips in 100 degree heat getting your stuff from the car, which was 10 miles away, into your room.  

Well, let me tell you that EKU’s process should be the model for the world’s universities.   Students were assigned a particular time to arrive to even out the flow of students.  The parking in front of the build was designated a drop off zone so you could unload your car. And get this, they have tons of students there with orange vests on whose job it was to help unload the car and carry Michael’s junk to his room.   What a fantastic idea. 

Here is a picture of the unloading process and a couple of girls in the orange vest.

Eku3

Michael is unpacking in his room

Eku4

Melissa and Michael coming out of his dorm.

Eku5

Next thing that EKU did that was fantastic was let Michael pre-order his books over the Internet.  Then all he had to do was go and pick up his books that were already boxed and waiting for him.  This process of picking up the books was literally less than 5 minutes including the 2 minutes we were in line.

Eku6

Melissa with a glow effect on the image coming out of the Student Services building where Michael got his parking permit. I was sly and took the picture with the camera down by my hip.

Eku7

Unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of the cafeteria where we ate lunch.  I was just so excited to get to eat at 11am (I skipped breakfast) that I forgot to take any pictures.  The all you could eat buffet was amazing and Michael will enjoy eating there.  The campus was beautiful and his dorm is centrally located for easy access.

Here is a picture Michael and Melissa hanging out in the commons area of the dorm.  We are waiting for a rain shower to pass before we head out to get him some last minute necessities at wal-mart.

Eku8

Here is a picture of Josh Chenault.  Josh and Michael are friends from Georgetown.  Josh stopped by his dorm to say hello and check out Michael's room.  Josh was all smiles and we asked him why he was so happy.  He responded that he just found out that the ratio of girls to guys on campus is 4 to 1.  Look out ladies!

Eku9

And here is my final picture — Michael Cook — BMOC.

Eku10

I called him to see how he is doing and just got off the phone. He said he has met several girls and already has a phone number.  I told him that he need go get 3 more to keep up with the 4 to 1 ratio.  He told me that Josh had heard wrong.  Michaels RA told him that the ratio is actually 6–1    I guess Mike has his work cut out for him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home